Re: Other class libraries

Hi Andrew,

> Since OpenJDK has been released, I've noticed that a tendency has
> arisen to not treat
> that codebase with the same 'don't look if working on the same code'
> approach we had
> when it was proprietary.  When working on GNU Classpath, we still need
> to be careful
> about cross-pollination between codebases, even though the OpenJDK
> class libraries
> are under (nearly) the same license.
>
> This also applies for other class libraries, namely Harmony's.

So where is the boundary? I already spent significant time studying
OpenJDK's code, in the graphics area (as part of my Challenge project)
as well as several other areas. Am I disqualified now as GNU Classpath
contributor? (Not that I contributed much in the last weeks, but
still...) You are 'walking the line' then too, with the CPStringBuilder
effort (I think this has been 'inspired' by OpenJDK iirc), and as part
of your Challenge project you are also studying a lot of OpenJDK code I
suppose.

Do we have any strong criteria by which we can measure which
contribution can go in and which can't?

/Roman

--
http://kennke.org/blog/