Re: Other class libraries

On 24/06/2008, Christian Thalinger <twisti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 15:20 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>  > Since OpenJDK has been released, I've noticed that a tendency has
>  > arisen to not treat
>  > that codebase with the same 'don't look if working on the same code'
>  > approach we had
>  > when it was proprietary.  When working on GNU Classpath, we still need
>  > to be careful
>  > about cross-pollination between codebases, even though the OpenJDK
>  > class libraries
>  > are under (nearly) the same license.
>  >
>  > This also applies for other class libraries, namely Harmony's.
>

> I guess this email came from the Long.signum() discussion we had today
>  on IRC.  Today I noticed that we are failing this one, so I tried with
>  CACAO/OpenJDK and it worked.  Then I had a look at GNU Classpath's code
>  and it was simply a one-liner.  Wondering why it failed, I looked at the
>  OpenJDK code and asked Mark if we could not simply use that correct
>  implementation (from OpenJDK).

That's correct, but it's something that's troubled me for a while and
with previous patches.

>  My point is, people are still working like in the "good old" proprietary
>  way, at least I do.  But also back then one-liners haven't been a
>  problem.

It wasn't that specific case, but it reminded me of the issue in general.
And, of course, that particular one-liner is taken from a book anyway!

--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8