Re: Summer of Code Ideas

Andrew, others,

I was indeed the person on IRC: stelt
I see SVG as very important for the freedom of people's creativity and cooperation and that is why i put loads of time in evangelizing it. As i lack the skills/time to realize the ideas i mentioned on the Batik list, i thought maybe i can help by finding some coders or GSOC mentors to have them realized anyways. Now i've made the contact for maybe doing this, i've become the useless man in the middle, which is why i put Cameron (heycam@freenode) of Batik fame in the CC.

If there's anything i can help with later, just let me know (blog about "SVG" and i usually read it :-) )

Thanks,

stelt/Ruud
http://svgopen.org (SVG world conference)
http://svg.startpagina.nl (SVG link resource)

Andrew John Hughes wrote:
On 07/03/2008, Dalibor Topic <dalibor.topic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew John Hughes wrote:
 > Below is a short list of ideas we could propose for GNU Classpath for
 > this year's Google Summer of Code.  Additions/comments welcome.  I'd
 > also like to know if there's anything you'd be willing to mentor.

* Support Batik

 > This was mentioned on IRC last night.  Don't know much more about it
 > though.  Dalibor, do you have the contact details of the person you
 > were speaking to about it?

I'd assume it was Ruud from
 http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-batik-dev/200803.mbox/%3C47D00D42.1000906@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3E
 CC:ed.

 I'd add:

 * glib as the native layer

 We could simplify the portability glue code by using glib underneath.
 We're using glib implicitly in the GTK peers already, and it would let us
 delegate the responsibility for portability wrappers out of classpath,
 while at the same time making the native code work transparently on
 win32.

 * rewrite Qt peers using jambi

 Our Qt peers are rotting away, and that means it's time for someone to
 come in and rewrite them. Qt Jambi are the official bindings for Qt for
 Java code, so it could be both fun and useful to rewrite our Qt based AWT
 peers in pure Java.

 cheers,

dalibor topic

Great ideas, Dalibor, I'll add them :)