Re: Summer of Code Ideas

On 07/03/2008, Dalibor Topic <dalibor.topic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>  > Below is a short list of ideas we could propose for GNU Classpath for
>  > this year's Google Summer of Code.  Additions/comments welcome.  I'd
>  > also like to know if there's anything you'd be willing to mentor.
>  >

> > * Support Batik
>  >
>  > This was mentioned on IRC last night.  Don't know much more about it
>  > though.  Dalibor, do you have the contact details of the person you
>  > were speaking to about it?
>  >

> I'd assume it was Ruud from
>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-batik-dev/200803.mbox/%3C47D00D42.1000906@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3E
>  CC:ed.
>
>  I'd add:
>
>  * glib as the native layer
>
>  We could simplify the portability glue code by using glib underneath.
>  We're using glib implicitly in the GTK peers already, and it would let us
>  delegate the responsibility for portability wrappers out of classpath,
>  while at the same time making the native code work transparently on
>  win32.
>
>  * rewrite Qt peers using jambi
>
>  Our Qt peers are rotting away, and that means it's time for someone to
>  come in and rewrite them. Qt Jambi are the official bindings for Qt for
>  Java code, so it could be both fun and useful to rewrite our Qt based AWT
>  peers in pure Java.
>
>  cheers,
>
> dalibor topic

Great ideas, Dalibor, I'll add them :)
--
Andrew :-)

Document Freedom Day - March 26th
http://documentfreedom.org

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8