FOSDEM! Classpath/DevJam/OpenJDK

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 09:19 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen writes:
>  > OK, we are rolling with this.  The next DevJam will be during FOSDEM,
>  > 24th and 25th February 2007 in Brussels, Belgium.  Those of you who
>  > are interested in joining need to put your name on
>  > <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/Java/DevJam/2007/Fosdem> quickly, to give
>  > us an estimate on how many will join and how much sponsoring is
>  > needed.
>  >
>  > I hope the java maintainers from all the linux distributions will show up.
>  >
>  > The discussion currently is held at #debian-java (irc.oftc.net).
>
> I've had a conversation with the organizers, and apparently this is
> not an attempt to replace the usual Classpath get-together, but a
> renaming.  There will be a Classpath meeting, as usual, and you won't
> have to decide to go to the DevJam instead.

Yes. Sorry if that was not clear. Since we wanted to have three sessions
at Fosdem and had already decided those would be about GNU Classpath &
Friends, OpenJDK and GNU/Linux distro Packaging it made sense to
officially turn this into a shared meeting. As
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/DevJam/2007/Fosdem says:

        We are organizing a meeting which is a merger of two events and
        what we hope will be the start of a close collaboration of the
        free software community with the new Sun OpenJDK project.

        In the past several years there were two main events around
        libre java for the GNU/Linux platform. The Fosdem "Escape the
        Java Trap" event organized by the GNU Classpath community,
        coordinating technical issues around implementing core
        libraries, compilers, tools and free runtimes. And "DevJam", a
        GNU/Linux distro packaging conference organized by Debian, but
        meant as a cross-distribution coordination meeting to set common
        guidelines for packaging java programs and libraries.

Please do add your name to the wiki if you are interested in coming. And
whether or not you would need sponsorship to come. It is a little late
to try and get sponsorship (oops, everybody seems to be on Christmas
break already...) but we will try. No promises of course, but we do need
a list of interested, cool, hip hackers to start the conversations to
show that people are really interested in coming together and make magic
happen. So please add you name now if you are:
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/DevJam/2007/Fosdem

You will need to create a Wiki login. If you rather not please just
email me with your details and I will add you.

Thanks,

Mark