Re: Some things I think GNOME should improve

2013/4/10 Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 22:31 +0200, Les Paul wrote:
> Windows user == LINUX desktop user ?

They are both users. That kind of segregation is which makes GNU/Linux
to have a 1% of the quote.

I wanted to answer you point by point, but I think we have a
completely different point of view. I just think a good system must be
as simple as it can be. That's what I like about the new Gnome Shell.
Its minimalism. Its lack of useless things dragging you out.

"Simplicity is not about making something without ornament, but rather
about making something very complex, then slicing elements away, until
you reveal the very essence." Christoph Niemann.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/03/christoph-niemann-petting-zoo-app.html

Most users don't produce. They consume. I agree that applications like
Blender (or Eclipse, or Geany) are complex by nature (but they are
made to be as simple as possible). But Blender users won't lose any
functionality.

The most successful applications are the simplest. Just see
Chrome/Chromium, and its omnibox. People are paying for Spotify,
iTunes and Netflix because it makes easier than P2P to watch movies or
listen to music. There were tons of mobile applications that allow you
to communicate instantly with any person in the world. But WhatsApp
made it simpler taking your numbers and showing to which contacts you
could chat. I am not a big fan of Apple, but I had a Sony MP3 player
before iPod was released. And I can see why iPods where so successful.
Precisely, the simplicity, the abstraction of complexity. It could do
the same that my legacy MP3. But much easier.

People don't want to sit on a computer to solve problems. They want to
get the things done in the easiest way. And if a casual user oriented
application made him to look up a manual, there is something wrong
with it.

Best regards