Re: Some things I think GNOME should improve

2013/4/3 Trond Husø <tr-huso@xxxxxxxxx>:

OK. You are not seeing my point at all. Maybe it is my fault, English
is not my native language.

Very, very few users are using "help" and "settings" option. Gnome
Shell has included both on a list on the title bar, that makes that
the field "Exit" changes its position from one application to another
(which is an option used by 100% of the users). For example, "Exit" in
Nautilus 3.6 is the 8th option, the 2nd option in Font Viewer, the 7th
in Gnome Documents and the 1st one on all non-gnome applications. You
can solve it just moving these to a general application, and
redistributing the rest of the options. This way, applications could
be closed easily. Maybe with a double click on the title bar, which is
always on the same place, and allow you to close several windows
without moving the mouse. But you cannot implement that if the title
bar is full of options. It would run the risk of being closed
accidentally. You can see how iOS or Android applications are
evolving. Options are hidden, and it isn't neccesary a help option.
They are made to be self-explanatory, and complexity is hidden to the
common user. Do you need a manual attached to your DVD player
permanently? No, you just need it, just in case. But the manual will
go to a drawer full of other manuals which you won't ever use. And you
know where are them all.

I don't think it would bother to those who want to use this options
(and they will do it just occasionally), but if so, I think is a
little (very little) sacrifice in favor of most users. Going to the
dash and close all the applications from there is inefficient. You
have to move the mouse all over the screen, and windows move from its
place as there are less windows opened.  Alt+F4 is not even an good
shotcut. But most users just want to use the mouse, or even (each day
more and more) just to touch the screen. The "X" button has been
replaced by a more inefficient system, and I think my idea could
improve that system.