Re: Coverity fixes

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 at 18:31, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kkeithle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/02/2017 10:19 AM, Atin Mukherjee wrote:
> While I appreciate the folks to contribute lot of coverity fixes over
> last few days, I have an observation for some of the patches the
> coverity issue id(s) are *not* mentioned which gets maintainers in a
> difficult situation to understand the exact complaint coming out of the
> coverity. From my past experience in fixing coverity defects, sometimes
> the fixes might look simple but they are not.
>
> May I request all the developers to include the defect id in the commit
> message for all the coverity fixes?

How does that work? AFAIK the defect IDs are constantly changing as some
get fixed and new ones get added.

We’d need atleast (a) the defect id with pointer to the coverity link which most of the devs are now following I guess but with a caveat that link goes stale in 7 days and the review needs to be done by that time or (b) the commit message should exactly have the coverity description which is more neat.

( I was not knowing the fact the defect id are not constant and later on got to know this from Nigel today)

(And I know everyone looks at the coverity report after their new code
is committed to see if they might have added a new issue.)

Today's defect ID 435 might be 436 or 421 tomorrow.

--

Kaleb