Re: [Gimp-web] Alexandre Prokoudine attacks on GIMP critics around the Web

GIMP is better than Photoshop for my purposes. No, it's not trying to copy
(which I think is the actual problem most people have with GIMP), and
therefore does some things differently as a result, and the tools are not a
one-to-one match (thankfully).
It's also free, completely cross-platform, and does not have nearly the
bloat that Photoshop has.
It's also faster on older hardware than Photoshop is with a tablet, but
maybe that's because GIMP doesn't require other bloated unfortunate
operating systems like windows and MacOS to run, both of which have their
own truly unfortunate set of restrictions.

What you want for illustration work is Krita. You should definitey look
more into it - It's a powerhouse of awesome features, which Photoshop users
would envy if they knew about them. Sure, you will have to get used to an
illustration workflow, but that's another reason why GIMP is seen as better
for photoediting tasks - That's really where it shines.

Disclaimer: I'm a career graphics and product designer, and after using
Photoshop from ver 2.5 (1992) all the way up to CS3, I decided to see how
much of my workflow I could switch to GIMP (mainly because of problems with
Windows and MacOS). After some initial growing pains, and a lot of GIMP UI
improvement over the years, I've been quite happily using GIMP every day
for work on cheap and light-weight laptops that barely run Windows 10
(forget about also running Photoshop).  GNU/Linux + GIMP allows me to do
this. (and Blender, Inkscape, Krita, etc.)

It seems people have no patience to learn new things or actually get
involved in a development community as the one that revolves around GIMP,
but these folks usually miss the point, and often the benefits of community
developed software.

-C