Re: Isn't this behaviour unintuative?

>>No, Im telling you that for photographic workflows, desire to
>>overwrite is rather rare

this is true,

 can be an unrecoverable mistake, even for one unique picture

but sometime overwriting is convenient and desired

Probably the best way is to have this choice in Preferences

Also from an  Usability point of view - probably  for the first use of
Ctrl+E in a work session - it's ok to present him in pop-up the
choices he have - then the user will choose what he want also he will
choose his option for the whole session.

So if the user choose "Overwrite without confirmation" - then all that
session Ctrl+E will act this way
If he will choose "Bring me the save window every time" - then he will
see all export options
If user will choose "Export a Copy" - then for the whole session the
file can be saved using incremental sufix

Also as a new option probably is ok to have Save using Preset  - that
mean a place where user can make reusable patterns
with rules for saving files.

Example of a preset for a mass save scenario:
1) preserve the original anyway
2) make an incremental file with PNG extension and the same filename
in the folder /home/web/X (with all compression options ..etc)
3) make an image with "sdfasdfasdfasd" name and JPG extension in
folder /media/hdd4/Y (with compression options etc).
4) and so ...

2011/6/30 Alexia Death <alexiadeath@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jeremy Morton <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So you're assuming that the user is going to 'accidentally' press ctrl-E,
>> then 'accidentally' click on overwrite even though it's not the default
>> selected button?
>
> No, Im telling you that for photographic workflows, desire to
> overwrite is rather rare. However, users will assume export shortcut
> to behave analogously to save shortcut, that being, dalog on first
> evocation, silent save on rest. I know I do. Hence the annoyance with
> nothing happening.
>
> --
> --Alexia

Nemes Ioan Sorin