Re: GIMP Developer Meeting #3 - March 28, 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How is it a problem that our code becomes so easy that even "dumb"
> programmers can understand and improve it when we are not forced to
> include patches from such "dumb" programmers?
This not how I understood mitch... I understood it as a valid concern
that if basics are hidden way another layer new contributors never
learn basics at all. And where that leads I have seen on some java
developers first hand. It leads to

My personal option is sort of split on this. On one hand less there is
boilerplate code, less there are chances of making white-space errors,
on the other... I looked into to the pdb recently... The perl
generator code there was a huge hindrance to understanding and writing
the code plus what mitch talked about.

For me personally the GObject boilerplate never was an issue. There
was plenty of code to copy-paste from even if I did not understand it
completely. Besides, you ever write it once per class and if it
changes it's a lot of quick and straightforward fixes.

What is an issue is UI maintenance. Having to manually stack GTK
containers without any preview is absolute pain. Once I used glade to
get my structure right and then translated it into code... So whats
wrong with finding away to make use of the GTKBuilder more?

--
--Alexia