Re: GIMP Developer Meeting #3 - March 28, 2011

LightningIsMyName wrote:
> *** Optional topic: Re-Discussing GIMP's programming language ***
> Some developers that weren't present in the last meeting, highly
> disagree on the attempt to introduce vala into gimp, claiming that it
> will scare off developers (more than the "simple" C GObject code).

Before talking about which new programming language is needed(?) in GIMP we
should make sure the problem is clearly defined as to *why* we need
something new. What problem is the new language going to solve?

IIRC, it had something to do with creation of GUI stuff (such as dialog
boxes?). If that is the case, the language should be irrelavant. There are
other tools that can be used to more easily make a GUI. One that comes to
mind is a tool like Glade that can generate a file that can be used with
with a library (GtkBuilder?) to show the contents of the file.

I may be completely off base here because I haven't heard a clear definition
of the problem.