Re: GIMP Developer Meeting #3 - March 28, 2011

On 03/27/2011 04:45 PM, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> On 03/27/2011 02:12 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:
>>
>> As to the actual iussue of introducing whatever *additional*
>> language in GIMP, I strongly doubt that it would help us in
>> any way. It would increase the complexity of both building and
>> programming because there would be two languages to learn,
>> it would complicate the build system (new contributors
>> would also have to learn to deal with autofoo makefiles dealing
>> with both C and vala code). It would increase the barrier of
>> getting new contributors into the project, not lower it.
>
> It's funny, because I see it the other way around. With infrastructure
> for and knowledge about how to use Vala in GIMP, the barriers of
> getting new contributors is lowered, because they don't need to learn
> GObject C boilerplate before writing code. Assuming of course that
> most of our code is in Vala already...

And this is *exactly* the problem. We would end up with programmers
that quickly learnt vala, having no clue about GObject. That's
absolutely horrible. Just like the people who only know how
to write java or #C code. They know how to use all the fancy
classes, but they have never implemented a list or anything
lowlevel themselves. I don't want people who know vala, but
don't "had to learn" GObject. Absolutely not. Knowing the
foundations is an absolute prerequisite for any serious
programming.

ciao,
--Mitch