GSoC 2011 - GimpSizeEntry widget

Hello,

my name is Enrico Schröder. I'm studying computer science at Freie Universität Berlin, but am currently studying abroad in Paris at Université Paris Diderot. I would like to apply for the "Replace the GimpSizeEntry widget" project for Summer of Code 2011. I have strong experience in C and am also familiar with UI programming using different APIs (QT, Cocoa, GTK+, Swing).

For my understanding a complete replacement for the GimpSizeEntry widget is required. It is supposed to be more user-friendly (for example the unit should appear in the entry field rather than in an external control and there should be support for input of different units and simple mathematical terms) while at the same time beeing more compact.

My general idea would be to base it on the regular GtkEntry instead of GtkTable and letting it handle the input, parsing and calculation of sizes in different units. If it would be helpful, the SizeEntry will be able to accept height and width in a single entry (for example "1024x768px"). That way it would be possible to use only one instead of two input fields (I'm thinking of usage in the toolbar where screen space needs to be conserved).

However, in the majority of cases it makes sense to treat width and height with seperate input fields, so the new SizeEntry will have the neccessary interface for working together and interacting with other SizeEntries. It will be possible to combine different entries in a GtkTable and add for example a GimpChainButton or preview labels.

I'm thinking of designing it in a flexible way so that it can be used in a variety of forms wherever it makes sense to do so, while still being consistent to not confuse users.

I hope you like my ideas and am seeing foreward to further discuss them and get feedback.

Enrico