Re: GUI enhancement patch from GIMP UI brainstorm blog

ãããã wrote:

> I know that there was a discussion about the consumption of the
> vertical space of the toolbar once in the mailing list.

I also spent most of a talk at an lgm discussing this topic.

in the bigger scheme of things (space, how usable toolbars are)
I do not see GIMP having a toolbar.

> 2011å1æ4æ20:46 peter sikking <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> when making UI, one has to:
>>
>> 1) identify the issue
>> 2) find the cause
>> 3) evaluate everything (including brainstorm ideas)
>> 4) make a solutions model
>> 5) design the UI
>> 6) develop it
>>
>> and although things go a bit jumbled every once in a while,
>> this is what happens here at GIMP.
> ==snip==
>> steps 2-5 are what I bring to any project and customer I work with.
>
> I agree that these features must be reviewed by many people in
> official and commercial process,
> but we also want to have a prototype to get positive feed back.
>
> It's very good and superior point of the open source software to
> implement GUI freely by anyone
> and have review it by many other people.
>
> It's just a patch of the my private work for now, so we can review it
> and simply ignore many
> of them. Let's try step 2-5 based on the feedback from existing
> prototype.

nice try, but: no.

I tried to show you why in my previous mail.
I can only add that a developer plunking in a code change at
users' request and then let users' feedback sort it out
is the 'armpit of usability' (i.e. the worst possible). see:

<http://blog.mmiworks.net/2008/09/armpit-of-usability_20.html>

so walking through steps 2â5 with me (or soon my team) is
mandatory. yes, it is a 'UI maintainer' kind of thing.

     --ps

             man + machine interface works

         http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture