Re: GUI enhancement patch from GIMP UI brainstorm blog

On 01/04/2011 08:25 AM, ãããã wrote:
> Hi, all.
> I'm recently implementing a GUI features that is inspired by the ideas
> of the GIMP UI brainstorming.
> I hope these features to be included or merged into the master branch
> in some future.
> So I inform you the patch here.
> If you're interested in the patch, please discuss about it.
>
> The patch is maintained by git, and published at following site.
> http://git.sourceforge.jp/view?p=gimp-painter/gimp-painter-2.7.git;a=summary
>
> This patch implement several features like:
> * horizontal toolbar with many tool options.
>    (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/07/blog-post.html or
> http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/07/gimpscape.html)
> * much sophisticated brush panel
> (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/12/brush-panel.html)
> * dynamics editor with side tabs
> (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/12/brush-dynamics-curves.html)
> * vertical dock and image tabs for single window mode.
> (http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2010/10/vertical-menu.html)
> * dock folding features. I think this feature is necessary for single
> window mode.
>
> This patch is based on the current master branch of the
> git://git.gnome.org/gimp.
> It modified many source code of the existing codes, but it does not
> delete any features that is available in the master branch.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> sigetch.

Hi sigtech

That's some very interesting work and we should work on merging what
makes sense to merge to GIMP git master. A word of warning though: not
everything posted on the gimp-brainstorm blog is suitable to be actually
implement in GIMP, so all your patches might not make sense to merge.

A couple of early comments on your code:

Add toolbar for tool-options to GimpImageWindow.
http://git.sourceforge.jp/view?p=gimp-painter/gimp-painter-2.7.git;a=commitdiff;h=13c321f2db36bae52b23d4264dee242827bb801c

Rather than adding a widgets at the top of the GimpImageWindow taking up
precious horizontal image space, we should work on moving tool options
to on-canvas in an elegant way. Adding another tool-options area gives
less space for image content and more space is taken by widgets, which
is not the best trend.

- G-Pen algorithm is ported into GIMP trunk. Now smoothing function
works for Ink...
http://git.sourceforge.jp/view?p=gimp-painter/gimp-painter-2.7.git;a=commitdiff;h=070fc064271f0b359ccdc9ad06466eeb3c1bc3ed

Looks like something we might want, some paint tool hacker should look
closer at it. Alexia? Mitch?

Initial import of color blending function for smudge tool.
http://git.sourceforge.jp/view?p=gimp-painter/gimp-painter-2.7.git;a=commitdiff;h=1b83ecae173641b0b08bccd0b207457bb549f9e6

It doesn't look like you change shade_pixels() and shade_region() in a
backwards compatible way. Don't you break other things with that change?
Otherwise it looks like a change we would want to merge. It would be a
good idea to split this commit up so that there is one commit per
bullet-point in your commit message.

* Some parameters in the toolbar can be edited using popup editor.
http://git.sourceforge.jp/view?p=gimp-painter/gimp-painter-2.7.git;a=commitdiff;h=2d5edbfe2fbba08ab4cf456586d5344a3c3a49cc

If I understand your code correctly, you are replacing big widgets with
smaller widgets that "expand" when you use them. Worth looking into further.

* GimpDock:  GIMP dock column folding is implemented.
http://git.sourceforge.jp/view?p=gimp-painter/gimp-painter-2.7.git;a=commitdiff;h=01c5590e9566d7f9f7fe2b8112e570a26cb3ac4c

Another interesting change, I'll look closer at it when I get back at
hacking on single-window mode.

[various bug fixes and additions to earlier commits]
For review purposes, it would be good if you squashed fixup-commits with
commits they fix, so upstream reviewers just need to review one patch.

Best regards,
Martin

--

My GIMP Blog: