Re: What would be a better set of default resources?

hi,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Alexia Death<alexiadeath@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, this is the key point of this discussion and IMHO the RIGHT
> WAY(TM) to solve this. Editing resources during use should not require write
> access. Saving the changes should. Use tweaking should be a different level
> action than actual editing. Its extremely annoying if use level tweaking
> messes up your resource.  If there's quiet auto saving, that should go away.
> Edit action should be available for writable ones and Duplicate &
> edit(possibly a quiet one) for non-writable ones and should be different
> from tweaks you can save in tool presets.

Let me extend your idea a bit. Every time selecting a resource, a copy
of it could be created (in memory, not on physical file). User could
edit resource in any way she likes without affecting originally
selected resources. GIMP could actually maintain a
current-session-brush, current-session-pattern, etc.: when finishing
session save currently selected resources (one for each resource
type). When starting session only one resource for each type would
need to be loaded in synchronously. All other resources could be
loaded in background (improve startup time).