Re: Please restore removed crop tool functionality

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 10:24 +0200, Sampo Niskanen wrote:

> However, I'd say that this is quite an unintuitive way of performing
> cropping.  If I want to crop an image, my attention goes to the features
> offered by the crop tool, not the selection tool.

That's the whole point. You don't want to crop the image, you want to
enlarge it. That's exactly why we moved this functionality out of the
Crop tool. A user who wants to enlarge the image is never going to look
for this in the Crop tool. It simply does not belong there.

> Therefore I'd still
> consider the "non-destructive" crop feature at least a usability
> enhancement.  At least personally I would assume that the crop tool of a
> professional tool like Gimp would offer this option as well.  (Not sure
> whether PS has it.)

So you would also assume that you can use a scissor to lengthen your
trousers? No, you wouldn't. So why do you assume that a crop tool would
allow you to enlarge the image? Probably only because it used to do that
in an earlier version. I admit that this is problematic. We could
certainly need some more help with the user manual to cover such changes
better. It would be nice if we had an updated user manual with each
release that points out how certain work-flows changed. Then the GIMP
user interface could continue to become more intuitive and easier to use
for new users, without distracting long-time GIMP users. I am sure that
the GIMP docs team would agree with me. But they could also need more
help, just as we need more developers.

Sven