Re: Please restore removed crop tool functionality

Hi,

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, bgw wrote:
> Samp, I didn't look at the archive -- but the functionality you are seeking
> appears to be in the rectangle selection tool.
> Select a rectangle, move your cursor within the selected rectangle. If it's
> close to an edge, you can move the edge.  If it's not, you can move the
> rectangle.

The point is changing the canvas size, but leaving the layers uncropped.
The current crop tool always crops the layers to the selected area, so you
cannot fine-tune the position afterwards - previously there was the option
of cropping only the canvas, and the layers still stretched beyond the
canvas.  This is what I always do so that I can fine-tune the position
later on, and since there is no interactive way of doing it in Gimp
anymore, it becomes a painful trial-and-error cycle (as I described in my
original post).

Martin Nordholts provided very quickly a one-liner patch for the issue,
but there came a lot of discussion about how the option should be visible
from the UI.  I hope that this will come to some conclusion, instead of
forgetting that feature altogether.

Thanks.