Re: digested: printing presses, cmyk, tiff + pdf...

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, peter sikking wrote:

> the plan as you can see in my conclusions does not hardwire a
> cmyk system, it uses (stolen from pippin) an "everything is spot"
> aka a-plate-is-a-plate system where the separation is free
> configurable, and cmyk and cmy+k are standard configurations.
>
> so we are not snookered by this.

That's good.

Some other solutions might not work that way, so clarifying this
point they way we just did is probably a Good Thing.

I was also thinking about CMYKOG, and I may have been a little
glib in my dismissal of it.  CMYKOG is essentially a special type
of 6-color, which is not patent-encumbered, to the best of my
knowledge.  There's certainly no reason why the user can't have
Hexachrome(R) if they install proper add-ons, but it couldn't
ship with GIMP as long as it has a libre license.

After all, there's a way to get PMS to work with Scribus (and I
believe you can use this to get approximations in GIMP as well):
<http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_and_Pantone_colors>

--
| Andrew A. Gill     To ensure continued quality of service,   |
|                    this e-mail is being monitored by the NSA |