Re: no image open spec...

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 11:34 +1030, David Gowers wrote:
>
>> There is no guarantee that there will be any taskbar at all.
<snip/>
>> IMO taskbars are a kludge, and it is a mistake for an application to
>> *depend* on them for basic usability.

> I don't think opening an image per DND counts as basic functionality. If
> you are working on a desktop that doesn't provide basic functionality
> like some sort of taskbar, then you may miss a feature or two. No
> problem as long as you can still open an image somehow.

Completely agree. GIMP need not worry too much about this. If you
still want a place to DND in this situation, you can always write a
simple but separate app that gives just a DND basket like d4x or kget
gives. For whatever is dropped on it, you can always call gimp's
remote.  Heck! you can even make it intelligent and open the app you
want based on different criteria! But that is enough said on GIMP's
list. :-)

--
Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
(+91) 9945036093