Re: no image open spec...

I only have time to write a quick note, so here we go:

Yes, focus on the 'yelling kid' to imagine what kind of interaction
avoid.

Our core users are people who know what they are doing.
They do not need 'help'. GIMP has to avoid trying to be
the boy scout helping the grandma across the busy street,
against their will.

also for you folks to focus on (to understand why I am designing
the solution in this way) is that as soon the last image is closed,
GIMP play from that moment a role in _the_whole_desktop_environment_.

That period can last 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day,
while our users are concentrating on other things.

So we have to be humble but ready for the next action users want
to undertake with GIMP when _they_ want.

avoiding visual clutter is the name of the game here.

Tobias wrote:

>>> Anyway, I'd would like to know why common tasks wouldn't fit there
>> Yeah, I would also like to know that.
>>
> I thin peter explained i in one of the first mails:
>
> "the thing to focus here is that GIMP is not going to behave like some
> kid yelling (yep, that is what a dialog is): "that was fun, what
> are we
> going to do now... I mean now... really now!" "
>
> You can see the problem very good, if you start Krita. Krita has such
> a yelling start dialog. But I'm not sure if not having common tasks in
> the start window is the solution or if we just have to design it more
> carefully than Krita.

very well said Tobias, and I am exploring that.

>>> And finally... a "drag here" sign sounds as a gimmick too for me.
>>
>> Indeed. In particular since we already found that using this
>> window as a
>> DND target has a severe usability problem. Where do you drop
>> images when
>> there is already an image opened?

"we already found that using this window as a DND target has a severe
usability problem"

who found that in what usability test? I must have missed that.

> If you see the window as a DND target has a severe usability problem
> every other thing in this window will have the same problem after
> opening the first image. This puts us back to an empty window without
> any functionality. And that doesn't sounds like a good solution, too.
>
> I've made some mock-ups and I like nr. 5c (with common tasks, like Gez
> one) and nr. 6 (DND area). I definitive don't like the nr. 4 (without
> any functionality). But this is just the look and not the feel.
> http://www.hagemaenner.de/stuff/gimp/PlanB/5c.png
> http://www.hagemaenner.de/stuff/gimp/PlanB/6.png
> http://www.hagemaenner.de/stuff/gimp/PlanB/4.png

It is nr.6 that I am developing further. Tobias, thanks for making
the mock-ups.

     --ps

             man + machine interface works