Re: change layout of mode menus?

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 10:05 -0800, Akkana Peck wrote:

> > There are very good reasons why tear-off menus are deprecated. They
> > don't solve usability issues but introduce them.
>
> They're deprecated? It figures that something so useful would be.

Well, perhaps not deprecated in the "don't use this API" sense. Their
use is discouraged. And not by the GTK+ developers but by usability
experts. Tearoff menus might sometimes be useful for the power-user but
for almost all users and almost all use cases they are unnecessary
clutter and make the menu more difficult to use. There's a tradeoff here
between being useful every once in a while for a very small minority of
users and being in the way for everyone almost all of the time.

Tear-off menus are disabled by default in GTK+. GIMP is one of the very
few applications that enables them explicitly. If we wouldn't use it,
perhaps the GTK+ developers would even have deprecated them in the
meantime. At some point we should definitely try to come up with a
better solution than tear-off menus for our overloaded menus. Until then
we should try not to add them anywhere else.

Sven