Re: New option "Use custom quality settings" for JPEG files

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:16:15 +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich <alexander.v.rabtchevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Why don't add  such a wonderful floating tip with a short description of > the switch and not to revoke the possibility from a user?
This is already done.  There is a tooltip associated with that optionand it explains what it can be used for.  Just try it an see foryourself...
Sven is right to be concerned about the number of options in the JPEGsave dialog.  But as I explained in my previous message, this one isuseful so that is why I added it.  Besides the option "Force baselineJPEG" that I removed last Friday, there are other options that couldbe removed in the future:- the choice of DCT method (integer, fast but less accurate integer,  or floating-point) because the speed differences are not significant  anymore,- the ability to add restart markers because unreliable channels are  much less common nowadays,- the smoothing option because this can also be performed by the usual  blur filters.All these options could still be available through the PDB interfacefor those who really miss them, but otherwise I think that they shouldbe removed from the advanced options soon after GIMP 2.4 is released.It will then be time to think about redesigning the JPEG save dialogfrom scratch.
As I mentioned earlier, I would like to simplify that dialog and onlyhave a dozen presets for the quality settings instead of having the101 values in the quality slider plus the choice of chroma subsamplingin the advanced options.  Picking one of these presets would selectthe corresponding quality level (quantization tables) and the mostappropriate chroma subsampling.  These may still be available in theadvanced options, but most users would never have to worry about them.I am not sure if the best way to make a choice among the dozen presetswould be a set of radio buttons, a slider with discrete values or acombo box, but this is something that we can discuss later when weredesign that window.