Re: Rudeness on gimp devel and bugzilla - was: Re: Tools

Von: "Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" <gwidion@xxxxxxxxxx>

> You see, the GIMP is not exactly with exceeding developer resources,
> and every single person I see trying to approach the project either
> here or over bugzilla gets a rude answer that might have turned then
> away for good.

There are canned messages in Bugzilla. In my opinion, they are a bit too friendly - I know for sure that I'd get annoyed by ten "Thanks" for bugs that are closed as duplicates.

Their main problem, is that besides a firendly "Thanks" and some explanatory text about why the bug is in its current state now, there's no further helpful information, like "this bug is a duplicate[...] you can check for existing bugs at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?...";.

I've talked to one of the Bugzilla maintainers about this, but so far nothing has happened (he didn't make any prmises, to be fair). Maybe this should be proposed again.

> Example:
> from:
> "we don't take bug reports against outdated development versions
> anyway."
> to:
> "Please, post bugs only using the latest development version. "

We even have a paragraph there about the situation above:

"Check your facts. Before reporting problems, check again. Make sure you
are following the intructions correctly and that your version is not
old[...]"

Maybe we should advertise it a bit more - standard gimp.org message footers, anyone?

In addition, I think that the list etiquette should point to the "smart
questions" guide: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Yes, I know that some think that this document is rude, but it has been
incredibly useful for me. I always go back and read it when I find myself
asking too many simple questions per time frame.

HTH,
Michael
Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/promail-out