Re: Tools

Alpár Jüttner (alpar@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 20:52 +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 12:47 -0700, Federico Alcantara wrote:
> > > I am interested in knowning if Gimp is written in
> > > C/C++, and which tools are needed to compile, debug,
> > > and test it?
> >
> > What about downloading it and checking yourself?
>
> IMHO, refraining from posts like this could greatly improve the
> atmosphere of this list.
> It is really up to you to help  somebody with answering his question or
> not to help, but this "answer" only hurts and helps nothing.

I don't agree with you there. The information Federico asked for is
provided in the readmes accompanying the GIMPs source distribution and
on the websites. We put that stuff there, so that people are able to
locate it in the tarball and/or in search engines.

This mailinglist is not a forum to save everybody the most basic
research. If we are supposed to answer these questions, is it sufficient
to answer the questions once? Three times? Every time?

It would drastically reduce the signal-to-noise ratio of this list and
make it less useful, since I'd have to dig through a lot of trivial
questions to spot the interesting discussions.

Feel free to jump on mails that were impolite and/or rude, I know that
these sometimes happen. But this specific mail from mitch was not one of
them.

Bye,
        Simon
--