Re: Drawing zones

On 1/18/07, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I usually work with a bunch of alpha-locked layers (paint shape in flat-colour,
lock alpha, paint shadows, light, texture ...)

I guess the perfect zone implementation would actualy need some overlap
to have the same effect of alpha-locked layers.
> In fact, the best simple solution could be to copy selection masks onto
> layer masks. Like, you have a 'painting' layer, and when you change zones:
>    1. Any changes are saved onto the underlying layer
>    2. The entire content of the underlying layer is copied to the paint
> layer
>    3. The layer mask is copied from the next zone-mask (channel)
>
> This would play well with my 'apply paint' plugin, which applies any paint
> on a layer (specially marked by name, beginning with the character '+') to
> the underlying layer and then clears it to a neutral color.

In short, drawing zones happening on the level of layer masks?

Drawing zones happening by layer masks.
This would allow you to decrease the total layer count needed while maintaining cleanness.

Another model I thought about would require a graph, so I guess
it's really a bit far out for GIMP: Having a layer/node for

Ehe, have you poked around with the GEGL editor at all? As GIMP begins to use GEGL more and more, there are various almost 'free' features that would be a side effect of using GEGL:

Graph based image model (most likely shown as a simplification of the underlying GEGL graph), hence Layer grouping also.
Adjustment layers

Those are the most relevant features.
I've heard that the painting system would also be GEGL-based,
so what you describe below may be possible (though it would probably be after 2.6 at the least.)

compositing drawing layers/nodes. It would be like a free-form
multi-split view on a number of layers. Drawing starting in one
zone of the view and continuing the stroke outside of it could
paint on the underlying layer/node, maintaining the advantage
that using layers has now: you can draw below a layer and later
change the shape of an upper layer without having to fill a gap.

What you describe is not exactly a graph -- because the destination is variable. I can think of a design with a few additional nodes that would make it work though.