Re: Drawing zones

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:04:28PM +1030, David Gowers wrote:

> >I like the idea of using a layer and a palette to draw the zones.
> >Even though I talked about hard edges, I (and everyone else drawing)
> >need anti-aliased ones in almost all cases :}
>

> Well, the simple case of that is easily done -- I just inserted two lines in
> my zonemap tool that automatically antialias the zone mask using potrace. I
> think that repeatedly drawing in a non-binary selection is a mistake, though
> -- layer masks or 'preserve layer alpha' do it better.
>
> I rarely ever use antialiased selections for drawing, only exclusively for
> fills (either color fills, alpha-clearing fills, or editing layer masks).
> Drawing into AAed selections makes selecting objects a no-win (ie. cannot
> get a perfect result, because the colors along the edges are uncontrolled)
> situation, and dirties colors.

I usually work with a bunch of alpha-locked layers (paint shape in flat-colour,
lock alpha, paint shadows, light, texture ...)

I guess the perfect zone implementation would actualy need some overlap
to have the same effect of alpha-locked layers.

> In fact, the best simple solution could be to copy selection masks onto
> layer masks. Like, you have a 'painting' layer, and when you change zones:
>    1. Any changes are saved onto the underlying layer
>    2. The entire content of the underlying layer is copied to the paint
> layer
>    3. The layer mask is copied from the next zone-mask (channel)
>
> This would play well with my 'apply paint' plugin, which applies any paint
> on a layer (specially marked by name, beginning with the character '+') to
> the underlying layer and then clears it to a neutral color.

In short, drawing zones happening on the level of layer masks?

Another model I thought about would require a graph, so I guess
it's really a bit far out for GIMP: Having a layer/node for
compositing drawing layers/nodes. It would be like a free-form
multi-split view on a number of layers. Drawing starting in one
zone of the view and continuing the stroke outside of it could
paint on the underlying layer/node, maintaining the advantage
that using layers has now: you can draw below a layer and later
change the shape of an upper layer without having to fill a gap.

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Creature Illustrations:
http://www.printfection.com/thorwil