Re: Drawing zones

On 1/18/07, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 02:57:30AM -0300, Manuel Quiñones wrote:
> I've had a similar idea than yours, and implemented it right away. But
> instead of changing zones with keystrokes, the zone can be selected
> using the crosspoint of two perpendicular guides. I know this is ugly,
> and maybe your idea about changing to next/previous zone is better.
> Here it is:
(...)
> http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/DrawingZones

I like the idea of using a layer and a palette to draw the zones.
Even though I talked about hard edges, I (and everyone else drawing)
need anti-aliased ones in almost all cases :}

Well, the simple case of that is easily done -- I just inserted two lines in my zonemap tool that automatically antialias the zone mask using potrace. I think that repeatedly drawing in a non-binary selection is a mistake, though -- layer masks or 'preserve layer alpha' do it better.

I rarely ever use antialiased selections for drawing, only exclusively for fills (either color fills, alpha-clearing fills, or editing layer masks). Drawing into AAed selections makes selecting objects a no-win (ie. cannot get a perfect result, because the colors along the edges are uncontrolled) situation, and dirties colors.

In fact, the best simple solution could be to copy selection masks onto layer masks. Like, you have a 'painting' layer, and when you change zones:
    1. Any changes are saved onto the underlying layer
    2. The entire content of the underlying layer is copied to the paint layer
    3. The layer mask is copied from the next zone-mask (channel)

This would play well with my 'apply paint' plugin, which applies any paint on a layer (specially marked by name, beginning with the character '+') to the underlying layer and then clears it to a neutral color.