Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp on OS X

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 05:43:00PM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Meanwhile I've profiled gnumeric while waiting for the scrollwheel
> action to catch up and indeed it seems that the scrolling causes a lot
> of activity both in GTK and the X server with the activity in the X
> server being mostly blit operations resulting in memcpys. So it seems
> that updates are a really costly operation which should be better
> avoided
> and actions to cause them reduced by coalescing and/or grouped...

Interestingly enough, when it comes to scrolling, running a GTK+ app on
OS X remote displayed to a Linux machine over 802.11b is *faster* than
running it on the local OS X display. I'm guessing context switches on
OS X are rather slow, so the chatter between the app and the X server
is slowing things down.

Certainly some of this can be improved upon in GTK+, like doing scroll
event compression.

-Yosh