Re: [Gimp-developer] Misnamed structure element in SFScript structure?

Marc Lehmann (pcg@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 05:30:19PM -0600, Tim Mooney <mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does anyone know any good reasons why Guile would be an inappropriate
> > choice for replacing SIOD?
>
> As far as I remember, it was because it adds a rather big dependency, and
> people thought that gimp should come with at least one script interpreter
> on it's own.
>
> (These are not my arguments, I just repeat what I think was one of the
> bigger points back then).

It was a point that I indeed support very strongly  :)

IMHO we should have at least one language where we can rely on the
availability on *every* gimp installation. Basically this is impossible
to guarantee for all languages that are packaged separately (like Perl,
Python and Guile as well).

I don't want to tell a newbie on Windows to install Python, because he
needs it to e.g. run a simple script that applies a curve that depends
on the current foreground color...  (just a silly example). It'd be
better to tell him "drop this file in that directory and invoke it"
and I don't have to care whats his platform and what interpreters
are installed.

So we should have at least one self contained language that comes with
the GIMP. I am not exactly tied to Script-Fu, but I don't see any other
obvious candidates.

Bye,
        Simon
--