Re: [Gimp-developer] [long] Suggestions + Patch, Redo (please dont flame), Part 1

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 03:21, pcg@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:06:00PM +0200, David Neary <dneary@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, the two big platforms where the GIMP will be used in the
> > future are GNOME and KDE. Both of those follow the HIG guideline
> > of Ctrl-Shift-Z. On windows, the main alternative app (photoshop)
> > uses the same shortcut.
>
> While I totally agree to your agruments about following existing standards
> and/or practise, in Gimp we have the additional problem that ctrl-shift-z
> is not very ergonomical. Unlike word processors, undo-redo (repeatedly) is
> quite a normal and very common operation with gimp to compare operations
> or filters.

The unfortunate thing for GIMP is that Shift is not quite the 'invert'
keybinding (undo/redo). In other applications this works extremely well
because the shift key is the invert-keybinding, but for some reason we
have Ctrl (dodge/burn, sharpen/blur, FG/BG fill, horizontal/vertical
flip ...).

If we were to be consistent, this would have changed so that the shift
key is again again the invertor. But this would mean a lot of replacing
of Ctrl/Shift throughout the tools.

I, for one, would welcome some thought put into consistency.

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx>