Re: [Gimp-developer] Suggestions + Patch, Redo - Part 1

pcg@xxxxxxxx ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann ) wrote:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:06:00PM +0200, David Neary <dneary@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, the two big platforms where the GIMP will be used in the
future are GNOME and KDE. Both of those follow the HIG guideline
of Ctrl-Shift-Z. On windows, the main alternative app (photoshop) uses the same shortcut.

While I totally agree to your agruments about following existing standards
and/or practise, in Gimp we have the additional problem that ctrl-shift-z
is not very ergonomical. Unlike word processors, undo-redo (repeatedly) is
quite a normal and very common operation with gimp to compare operations
or filters.

BTW, an area in which GIMP just TOTALLY SMASHES OUT Corel Photo Paint 9 - the stuff I had to use before managing to swtch at work. In that crappy program, the Undo history is erasen after a couple of seconds of idle activity, sometimes randomly. Which means one can never be SHURE if the changes of a filter will possibly be undoable.

Also, that crappy program will erase the undo history after File Save actions. That turns very difficult to save a version of an image with a filter applied, and them go back to working on the image without that filter.

Anyway, I will have no say on what Key I'd prefer for the GIMP Undo at this time. Both CTRL + R and Shift + Ctrl + Z have good arguments. Just please, do keep Ctrl + Alt + Z out of question, it is hard to reach and ALT do indeed have some issues in the KDE enviromment. And, anyway, one of the first things I teach to one who is learning the GIMP is the dinamic shortcut allocation.

Regards,

	JS
	-><-