Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Setting Up Wilber

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:55:03 +0200, "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sgunderson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 02:48:17PM +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> > Also, the compatibility with Netscape 4.x is
> > a big showstopper from my point of view: there is still a significant
> > number of people visiting www.gimp.org who are using NS4 and who may not
> > be able to switch to another browser (this last point is quite important
> > IMHO).
>
> Are there any real numbers on this? Last time I checked the sites I'm
> administrating, the NS4 share was down to _0.25%_. Is really gimp.org that
> much higher up?

Probably a bit higher, but not that much.  I don't have the time to count
that right now, but I can try to do that tomorrow if you want.  But here
is something that I posted in April to the gimp-web list:

  For those who like statistics, I had another look at the stats for
  today.  In the last 6 hours, there were 103 unique IP addresses using
  Netscape 4 and visiting www.gimp.org.  I excluded the user-agents
  containing "MSIE", "compatible", "Opera" or some strings commonly used
  by agents faking their identity (such as those using only the string
  "Mozilla/4.0" without any other attributes).  In the last two days,
  there were more than 300 unique visitors using Netscape 4.

I hope that the number of Netscape 4 users has decreased since then, but
it is likely that there are still more than a couple of them visiting
www.gimp.org.  I had a quick look at the logs without making a full
analyzis and I only saw 15 unique IP addresses using Netscape 4 yesterday
(excluding my own requests when I took the screenshots).  But this seems
to vary very much from day to day.

> (BTW, is the site viewable in NS4 with CSS support turned off?)

If you turn off CSS, the layout is still completely broken, but at least
the images are not displayed on top of the menu.  The menu itself is
displayed in the middle of the page with all links side-by-side instead
of being displayed in a column (a valign="top" and some <br/>s would
solve that problem).  So the pages looks strange and sometimes the
column with the menu is wider than the contents of the page, but at least
I did not see any image or text covering other useful parts of the
page.

-Raphaël