Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.14

Hi,

Olivier Ripoll <olivier.ripoll@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Olivier Ripoll <olivier.ripoll@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > Compared to the 1.3.13, I had to install many additional dev
> > > packages to be able to compile this version, mainly gnome ones, so I
> > > can understand this.
> >
> > There is no additional dependency compared to 1.3.13. OK, we require
> > pango-1.2 now but you should be using that with gtk+-2.2 anyway.
>
> I think I already had pango. From memory, I had to install gtkhtml-devel,
> who in turn asked for gnome-vfs, and other gnome libbs (devel packages, of
> course) one having a name like "liboad" (my memory is not very good).

gtkhtml2 is not required. If it is missing, the help browser plug-in
will be build. Then, gtkhtml2 doesn't depend on gnome-vfs, it only
uses it for a small example/test application. The gtkhtml2 library
itself doesn't use it at all. configure (of gtkhtml2) should detect
the absence of gnome-vfs and skip the build of the test application.
You can even build gtkhtml2 without gail if you pass
--disable-accessibility to configure.

> Also, python-dev had to be installed, and of course libmng-devl,
> lib-aa-devel, although these two ones where not mandatory. There were
> other libs, but haven't noted their names.

These are all not mandatory. Please stop spreading rumours that GIMP
would be dependant on any GNOME libraries.

> > Of course the new MNG plug-in introduces new dependencies but you
> > should be able to build without it. configure is supposed to skip
> > the build of the MNG plug-in if libmng is not available. If that
> > didn't work for you, please file a bug-report with detailed
> > configure output.
>
> no, configure found libmng stuff, but did not check the presence of little
> cms.

AFAIK, you can not install libmng without lcms. If your distribution
managed to do so, something is most probably screwed up somewhere.

> > You don't have to install sendmail to compile GIMP. Sendmail is being
> > used by the mail plug-in and the configure check for sendmail dates
> > back to somewhen before GIMP version 1.0. I agree that the plug-in is
> > useless (it's called the GIMP Useless Mail Plug-in after all).
>
> configure stopped with an error because it could not find sendmail. I
> could not even get to the make step.

That is a bug, please report it. Trivial to get this fixed.

> Well, some computers do not use mail servers ;) I don't even have a
> modem at home...

still, sendmail is being used to deliver local mail. The sendmail
binary has traditionally be part of every UNIX installation. This is
totally unrelated to the fact if a mail server is running or not.

Salut, Sven