Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.14

Hi,

Olivier Ripoll <olivier.ripoll@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Compared to the 1.3.13, I had to install many additional dev
> packages to be able to compile this version, mainly gnome ones, so I
> can understand this.

There is no additional dependency compared to 1.3.13. OK, we require
pango-1.2 now but you should be using that with gtk+-2.2 anyway.

Of course the new MNG plug-in introduces new dependencies but you
should be able to build without it. configure is supposed to skip the
build of the MNG plug-in if libmng is not available. If that didn't
work for you, please file a bug-report with detailed configure output.

> But why did I have to install sendmail to be
> able to compile gimp? I mean sendmail is a security issue, and I
> don't even have a modem on my computer (so for me sendmail is not a
> security issue, but for many peopl it should be). Couldn't there be
> a flag like --disable-sendmail ? Is sendmail really needed for gimp,
> or is it only during development stage and will dissapear when 1.4
> is out? <troll>Why not postfix or qmail instead?</troll>

You don't have to install sendmail to compile GIMP. Sendmail is being
used by the mail plug-in and the configure check for sendmail dates
back to somewhen before GIMP version 1.0. I agree that the plug-in is
useless (it's called the GIMP Useless Mail Plug-in after all).

Are you saying that GIMP didn't build without sendmail being
available? That would be a bug. On the other hand, sendmail is
available almost everywhere since all other MTAs that I know of
install a sendmail binary for compatibility.

> Also, there was no test for the presence of lcms headers (little
> colour management system) in the configure step, while it happened
> to be needed during make (for the mng plugin I think).

AFAIK, the MNG plug-in doesn't use the headers directly and it should
be the job of the MNG library to assure that its headers can safely be
included.

Salut, Sven