[Gimp-developer] Re: ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.14

Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Olivier Ripoll <olivier.ripoll@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Compared to the 1.3.13, I had to install many additional dev
> > packages to be able to compile this version, mainly gnome ones, so I
> > can understand this.
>
> There is no additional dependency compared to 1.3.13. OK, we require
> pango-1.2 now but you should be using that with gtk+-2.2 anyway.

I think I already had pango. From memory, I had to install gtkhtml-devel,
who in turn asked for gnome-vfs, and other gnome libbs (devel packages, of
course) one having a name like "liboad" (my memory is not very good).
Also, python-dev had to be installed, and of course libmng-devl,
lib-aa-devel, although these two ones where not mandatory. There were
other libs, but haven't noted their names.

> Of course the new MNG plug-in introduces new dependencies but you
> should be able to build without it. configure is supposed to skip the
> build of the MNG plug-in if libmng is not available. If that didn't
> work for you, please file a bug-report with detailed configure output.

no, configure found libmng stuff, but did not check the presence of little
cms.

> > But why did I have to install sendmail to be
> > able to compile gimp? I mean sendmail is a security issue, and I
> > don't even have a modem on my computer (so for me sendmail is not a
> > security issue, but for many peopl it should be). Couldn't there be
> > a flag like --disable-sendmail ? Is sendmail really needed for gimp,
> > or is it only during development stage and will dissapear when 1.4
> > is out? <troll>Why not postfix or qmail instead?</troll>
>
> You don't have to install sendmail to compile GIMP. Sendmail is being
> used by the mail plug-in and the configure check for sendmail dates
> back to somewhen before GIMP version 1.0. I agree that the plug-in is
> useless (it's called the GIMP Useless Mail Plug-in after all).

configure stopped with an error because it could not find sendmail. I
could not even get to the make step.

> Are you saying that GIMP didn't build without sendmail being
> available? That would be a bug. On the other hand, sendmail is
> available almost everywhere since all other MTAs that I know of
> install a sendmail binary for compatibility.

Well, some computers do not use mail servers ;) I don't even have a modem
at home...

> > Also, there was no test for the presence of lcms headers (little
> > colour management system) in the configure step, while it happened
> > to be needed during make (for the mng plugin I think).
>
> AFAIK, the MNG plug-in doesn't use the headers directly and it should
> be the job of the MNG library to assure that its headers can safely be
> included.

This was strange. I had compiled the mng plugin on the same computer
before. I do not know what changed.

> Salut, Sven

Thanks for the answer...

Anyway, I'll test this version a little more and make a few bug reports
when I have time. the new template thing is very nice. Also the new "brush
selection widget" with list and icon view is pretty. I'm sure there are
lots of new things to discover in this new gimp :)

Best regards,

Olivier.