[Gimp-developer] Re: http://developer.gimp.org/

On 2003-02-10 at 1710.28 +0100, Rapha?l Quinet typed this:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:16:56 +0100, "David Necas (Yeti)" <yeti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> As someone who still has to use Netscape 4.x from time to time (old
> computers, not enough memory to run newer browsers), I would like to
> be able to support Netscape 4.x as long as it does not add too many
> constraints on the design.
>
> > The best thing one can do with NN 4.x is [IMHO] to
> > (a) detect it with PHP or whatever and don't include style
> >     sheets, or include a different one -- this is prohibited IIUC
>
> It is not prohibited, but I would like to avoid that if possible.
> This trick would require dynamic pages.  This would not only increase
> the load on the server, but this would also prevent the pages from
> being cached in proxies.  I prefer static pages.

good preference.  the page was designed so as to have low impact on the
server on purpose.  as a rule even.  wilber can't take it.

> > (b) use some dirty trick
> >     http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
> >     to make it see no/other/only part of the style sheet, e.g.
> >     @import url("bigstyle.css")

i read of a rather elegant solution.  apparently Netscape refuses to
read the <link></link> tag if it contains the media attribute.  so you
can set it up this way:
   <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="/style/dgo-ns.css">
   <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="/style/dgo.css"
   media="all">

and netscape will happily skip the second stylesheet.

http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/maps.html (the last paragraph)

carol