Re: [Gimp-developer] http://developer.gimp.org/

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:16:56 +0100, "David Necas (Yeti)" <yeti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:37:26PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> >
> > > It's broken on Netscape 4.7 (disabling Style Sheets helps, but it
> > > looks rather ugly then). There is text behind the image etc.  But I
> > > guess it's nice if displayed correctly.
> >
> > I don't think we have to care about browsers as obsolete and
> > known-to-be-broken as Netscape 4.7.

As someone who still has to use Netscape 4.x from time to time (old
computers, not enough memory to run newer browsers), I would like to
be able to support Netscape 4.x as long as it does not add too many
constraints on the design.

> The best thing one can do with NN 4.x is [IMHO] to
> (a) detect it with PHP or whatever and don't include style
>     sheets, or include a different one -- this is prohibited IIUC

It is not prohibited, but I would like to avoid that if possible.
This trick would require dynamic pages.  This would not only increase
the load on the server, but this would also prevent the pages from
being cached in proxies.  I prefer static pages.

> (b) use some dirty trick
>     http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
>     to make it see no/other/only part of the style sheet, e.g.
>     @import url("bigstyle.css")

I have used a similar trick in some pages that I have designed, and it
works quite well.  I suggest using that.

Also, Netscape 4.x does not support the CSS borders correctly, but
there are ways around that.  I am convinced that it is possible to
design the pages is such a way that they is not completely broken in
Netscape 4.x.  But I would like to focus first on the way the pages
will be created (building scripts, directory structure, etc.).

> Since people still use NN 4.x, they should be able to
> display the pages in some readable (not nice) form, so I
> suggest hiding CSS for NN 4.x with @import.

I agree.  There are still a number of GIMP users who are relying on
this old browser, so we should try to suppport it as long as possible.
The pages don't have to look nice, but they should at least be
readable and they should not "look broken".

-Raphaël