Re: [Gimp-developer] Dreamworks, Shrek, and the need for 16 Bit

Hi,

David Hodson <hodsond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >  What if
> > we improve the file plug-ins that read file types that support higher
> > color depths (like TIFF) in such a way that they allow to do simple
> > adjustments before the data is propagated down to 8bit?
>
> My Cineon/DPX plugin does exactly this. (The Cineon and DPX formats
> are standards for scanned movie film.) The source is at:
>
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/cineon.html
>
> The documentation is a little out of date (sorry).

is there a way to interactively set black/grey/white points on load or
do you just use known values?  Do you think it would be useful to have
an interface like the Levels tool in the plug-in? Is it correct to
assume that the same values will be used for all frames of a scanned
of a movie or are they adapted to scenese or even individual frames?
Perhaps you could tell us a bit about the workflow involved here.

Salut, Sven