Re: [Gimp-developer] Notes from the Guad3c GIMP BOF session

Hi,

tino.schwarze@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tino Schwarze) writes:

> > > Hmmm... what about embedding a real image inside the preview?
> >
> > I don't understand this sentence. Could you elaborate on this?
>
> I mean: Why create proxies and stuff? Just create an appropiate
> GimpImage and let the plugin poke on that. I'm not very familar with the
> GIMP internals, but I guess we don't need to re-invent the wheel there.
> Using a downscaled version of the actual image allows the plugin to
> perform _any_ operation it can do on the original image. If there was a
> layer-removal plugin, the removal of a layer could be previewed.

plug-ins usually only work on a single drawable. Creating a copy of the
whole image would be overkill in almost all cases. Since we want a
zoomable preview, we'd even have to redo the image copy every time the
zoom changes. Doing a real drawable copy would probably be a reasonable
approach since the gimp core could do the scaling for us.

Salut, Sven