[Gimp-developer] Notes from the Guad3c GIMP BOF session

Hi,

here are some commented notes I took on the GIMP BOF session which
took place last saturday in Sevilla at the GNOME Users and Developers
European Conference. This is a loose collection of random ideas and
thoughts. We didn't decide on anything, we just took the opportunity
to collect some ideas and discuss them...

Plug-in Previews
----------------

- Most, if not all, plug-ins should have a preview and they should
  share a common look and feel.

- The preview should be zoomable with the plug-in specifying the
  initial zoom setup (1:1 in most cases).

- The preview area should scale with the dialog.

- The zoom GUI might be copied from PS:
    ---------------
    |             |
    |             |
    |   Preview   |
    |             |
    ---------------
     +    100%   -

  +/- are buttons for adjusting the zoom located around a label that
  displays the zoom value. The value is clickable to select 100%.
  The click-to-100% feature is not very intuitive, but since it's an
  expert feature, it might be OK to hide it this way. Someone wanted
  a way to a enter zoom value numerically, so we might want to use an
  entry/spinbutton instead.

- A split mode would be handy:
    -------------------
    |        |        |
    | Before |        |
    |        | After  |
    |        |        |
    -------------------
  Alternative setups like top/bottom, diagonal split have been
  suggested. Difficult to get this integrated into the GUI w/o
  cluttering it with buttons. Could be in a right-click menu, but
  it would probably not be found there.

- Alternative preview in image window would be nice to have.

- Provide an API that allows the plug-in developer to use the same
  function for manipulating the image as well as the preview. The
  preview would have to provide a drawable API and pixel-regions
  etc. in order to achieve this goal.

General GUI ideas
-----------------

- Four direction menus to reduce mouse movements necessary to
  reach a certain menu entry. I'm not sure if I understood this
  correctly. Someone should draw some Ascii art to illustrate
  this. I don't like the idea.

- Make docks scrollable. You could then stuff almost everything in
  there and it might even still be useable if you have a wheel
  mouse. Might be tricky since it would mean having scrollable
  widgets inside a scrollable widget. Again I don't like the idea.

- Make layers resizable/scalable in by adding handlers to the layer
  boundaries.

- Effect layers. Hasn't been discussed much, probably not for 1.4.

- Replace canvas XOR drawing by something nicer. We looked at some
  commercial apps and found they all get problems if the background
  color matches the color used to preview lines/beziers etc. GIMP has
  this problem with gray backgrounds. Should be discussed further.
  Tigert keeps asking for antialiased bezier previews.

- Allow to rotate the canvas just as one rotates a sheet of paper
  when drawing to ease the use of graphic tablets.

- Find a better heuristic to place pasted selections/layers. Right
  now they appear in the center of the image which is often far
  away from the spot where one needs them. Using the center of the
  display could be a better choice.

Text Tool
---------

- Should allow multi-line text with configurable line spacing.

- Should allow to modify character-spacing for selected parts
  of text.

- Clicking somewhere into the image and starting to type should
  create a new text layer the size of the text's bounding box.
  Clicking and dragging should create a new text layer the size
  of the dragged rectangle.

Salut, Sven