Re: [Gimp-developer] Notes from the Guad3c GIMP BOF session

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 11:47:42AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

> zooming by means of mouse clicks or mouse wheel is an option but there
> needs to be a UI that clearly indicates that you are able to zoom and
> how to do it. Only using the mouse w/o adding any visible UI elements
> is not an option from a usability point of view.

ACK.

> > > - Alternative preview in image window would be nice to have.
> >
> > Definitely. It should be toggleable from the preview widget itself.
> > Also, the plugin has to choose in which mode to start. There are
> > plugins for which a tiny preview is useless (e.g. global operations like
> > brightness and contrast.)
>
> most color corrections are implemented as tools anyway.

Which I find confusing - I stumbled acroos this yesterday. It is
non-intuitive that something without a toolbox icon has Tool Options.

> > Hmmm... what about embedding a real image inside the preview?
>
> I don't understand this sentence. Could you elaborate on this?

I mean: Why create proxies and stuff? Just create an appropiate
GimpImage and let the plugin poke on that. I'm not very familar with the
GIMP internals, but I guess we don't need to re-invent the wheel there.
Using a downscaled version of the actual image allows the plugin to
perform _any_ operation it can do on the original image. If there was a
layer-removal plugin, the removal of a layer could be previewed.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/