Re: [Gimp-developer] Notes from the Guad3c GIMP BOF session

Hi,

tino.schwarze@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tino Schwarze) writes:

> > - The preview should be zoomable with the plug-in specifying the
> >   initial zoom setup (1:1 in most cases).
>
> What about:
> - left mouse click = zoom in
> - middle mouse drag = move around
> - right mouse click = zoom out
>   or use shift-left and have a little context menu with right

zooming by means of mouse clicks or mouse wheel is an option but there
needs to be a UI that clearly indicates that you are able to zoom and
how to do it. Only using the mouse w/o adding any visible UI elements
is not an option from a usability point of view.

> Hmm... a pretty weird preview comes to my mind. It might be difficult to
> implement though. The preview is not separeted into before and after
> views but shows one part of the image. There is an invisible borderline
> between before and after so that there is a transition from before- to
> after-image. The interesting thing is: This border-line can be rotated.
> You therefore have the option to have a preview like above or one
> separated top-bottom or diagonal - any way you like.

the original suggestion was of course to have both views (before and
after) in the same drawing area and not separated. The idea to make
the border-line rotatable is actually very nice and shouldn't be too
hard to implement. Getting the GUI right could be difficult though.

> > - Alternative preview in image window would be nice to have.
>
> Definitely. It should be toggleable from the preview widget itself.
> Also, the plugin has to choose in which mode to start. There are
> plugins for which a tiny preview is useless (e.g. global operations like
> brightness and contrast.)

most color corrections are implemented as tools anyway.

> The preview widget also needs an option to toggle between automatic or
> manual preview update since there are effects which take very long to
> compute - even for a small preview.

ack.

> Hmmm... what about embedding a real image inside the preview?

I don't understand this sentence. Could you elaborate on this?

Salut, Sven