Re: [Gimp-developer] 1.2.x CVS build

Hi,

Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:15:23AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Read your own words and thing again. If you were having problems to
> > compile gimp-1.2 from CVS months ago, why didn't you go ahead and ask?
> > There are only few people left working actively on gimp-1.2 and they
> > do communicate (by email and IRC). How are we supposed to know that
> > you are fighting with the gimp-1.2 tree if you don't tell us?
>
> I tried telling people on IRC and was met by an astonishing level of
> arrogance.  Basically they knew about the problem, having deliberately
> caused it, but I'm not good enough to be using CVS 1.2 and I should go
> away and stop bothering them. I had hoped that sanity would prevail if I
> left them alone for a few weeks, but it did not, hence my mail.
>
> There are plenty of Free Software projects that could use me and I
> don't have a lot of free time. I love Gimp, but not enough to bow and
> scrape every time I want to fix some bugs. So, now Gnumeric has filters
> for Excel 4.0 and below and Gimp still has the same old bugs.
>
> I'll say the same thing I said then. Maybe I'll have some more spare
> time in a few weeks, and if I do I'll see if Gimp 1.2 CVS is in decent
> shape for me to do some work on it.

I told you a simple fix to work around the problem, didn't I? Is it really
asked too much to type the following lines into your terminal?

  wget ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v1.3/glib-1.3.12.tar.gz
  tar zxvf glib-1.3.12.tar.gz
  cd glib-1.3.12
  ./configure
  make
  sudo make install

I don't think this puts an untolerable burden on GIMP developers that
want to compile from CVS (apart from the fact that most GIMP
developers have this library installed anyway since GIMP head depends
on it).

I'd prefer to see the GIMP-1.2 tree being fixed so it works without
glib-1.3 but then I also want to see a decent GIMP-1.2 release for
WIN32. If this adds a new dependency on building GIMP-1.2 from CVS, so
what? If you want I can build you a new prerelease so you don't have
to bother with autoconf and automake. I do hope however that Yosh will
do the 1.2.3 release really soon now.

Salut, Sven