Re: [Gimp-developer] couple possible TODO items

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:12:28PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Zachary Beane <xach@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > - Biased color reduction
> > >
> > >   This is a feature I saw in photoshop. When reducing the colors of an
> > >   image, it will try to preserve colors within the active selection
> > >   more than it tries to preserve those outside of it. For example, if
> > >   you want to keep skin tones in an image, but want to otherwise
> > >   reduce the overall number of colors, you would select a few
> > >   representative areas of skin before doing the reduction.
>
> > Personally, I can't count the number of times I've converted an image
> > to Indexed only to find the black had gone suddenly slightly
> > off-black, or another solid color that I really needed at a particular
> > value had suddenly shifted slightly. I'd love to be able to select
> > those colors before conversion to hint to the Indexed conversion,
> > "these exact values are important to me."
>
> Talked to Adam about that issue on #gimp lately and he seems to be
> biased towards changing the conversion-algorithm to be intelligent
> enough to do the right thing without user interaction. According
> to the latest ChangeLog entries, he seems to be actually working on
> this.

His ChangeLog entries are what renewed my interest in this. But I'm
curious; how can the conversion algorithm know what the right thing
is? If I'm going from many colors (one of which is a particular shade
of mauve that matches my web page) to, say, 11 colors, how can it know
that my mauve is one of the colors to preserve unmodified?

Zach
--
xach@xxxxxxxx     Zachary Beane     http://www.xach.com/