Re: [Gimp-developer] couple possible TODO items

Hi,

Zachary Beane <xach@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> > - Biased color reduction
> >
> >   This is a feature I saw in photoshop. When reducing the colors of an
> >   image, it will try to preserve colors within the active selection
> >   more than it tries to preserve those outside of it. For example, if
> >   you want to keep skin tones in an image, but want to otherwise
> >   reduce the overall number of colors, you would select a few
> >   representative areas of skin before doing the reduction.

> Personally, I can't count the number of times I've converted an image
> to Indexed only to find the black had gone suddenly slightly
> off-black, or another solid color that I really needed at a particular
> value had suddenly shifted slightly. I'd love to be able to select
> those colors before conversion to hint to the Indexed conversion,
> "these exact values are important to me."

Talked to Adam about that issue on #gimp lately and he seems to be
biased towards changing the conversion-algorithm to be intelligent
enough to do the right thing without user interaction. According
to the latest ChangeLog entries, he seems to be actually working on
this.

Salut, Sven