Re: 2 mini-suggestions

Uri;

On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 11:24:48AM -0800, Uri Zarfaty wrote:
> 2. The "Round Rectangular Selection" plugin is, in my opinion, both
> over-specific in nature (it only copes with rectangles) and has too
> long a name (which makes the Select menu appear very wide). How
> about replacing it with a blur/levels hack like the one below? It
> works well for me.
>
> Just my £0.02. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

I agree that "Round Rectangular Selection" is over-specific.

However, your solution does not preserve the "sharpness" of horizontal
and vertical edges. It's important to anti-alias curves, but I don't
think that blurring these "straight" edges is expected or acceptable.

The relevant line is:

>     gimp_levels($channel, 0, 123, 133, 1.0, 0, 255);

Let's see, how else could this be done maintaining edge sharpness?

 1. Making the above line
        gimp_levels($channel, 0, 127, 127, 1.0, 0, 255);
    To get a completely sharp selection, then use the anti-aliasing
    filter (which just blurs diagonals IIRC) to smooth out the rest.
    I can't seem to find the anti-aliasing filter so I suspect it's
    not part of the distribution.

 2. Stroking "out", then shrinking the selection, rounds the concave
    corners. Stroking "in", then growing the selection, rounds the
    convex corners. Doing both, of course, gets both types of corners
    rounded. Like this:
        - selection -> channel
        - stroke channel with a hard (but antialiased) round brush
          and ~1% spacing (i.e. spacing low enough that horizonal and
          vertical lines are kept sharp)
        - channel -> selection
        - expand (if stroked with black) or shrink (if stroked with white)
          the selection by the radius of the brush used
    Of course shrinking/expanding, _then_ stroking is another option,
    as is simply shrinking then expanding the selection.

Ooops, time for sushi.

Tom

--
--    Tom Rathborne    tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx