Re: Gimp crashes when I start up gimp

At 19:45 23.12.99 +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 09:24:35AM +0100, Jos <josvanr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I just updated from SuSE linux 6.1 to 6.3. Now, when I started
>> up gimp from an xterm, the screen became full of these lines:
>
>I can run gimp from suse 6.3 just fine. You do not happen to overclock
>your machine? Or have a faulty harddrive? Or faulty dram? Or some broken
>library?

Maybe you 've got a problem while partially updating?
Suse 6.3 delivers Gimp 1.1.12 (if I recall correctly) !
Although I'm not absolutely sure, I would expect real bad things happen,
mixing Gimp less 1.0.4 with newer Gtk 1.2.x or vice versa.

>> After which the system didn't respond anymore: I had to reboot,
>
>This is almost by definition not a bug in gimp, but in your x-server or
>your hardware.

Are there by definition no version problems on Linux?
(I'm one of these perveted guys, using Gimp on Windoze most of the time;
 where dealing with such problems is common)

>It is very hard to find out what could be the reason for this unpleasant
>behaviour. Maybe you just haven't enough RAM to run gimp, and the kernel
>starts to kill processes like mad (especially when you run the patched
>suse kernel). It might kill your xserver giving you the impression of a
>frozen system when, in fact, it isn't.

Marc, wouldn't it be a good starting point to check version problems
first? Maybe for Gtk independendant from Gimp.

>> version is printed.) So... does anybody know what I could do now?
>> Maybe compile the programme myself?

IHMO you should check for multiple Gimps too, and obviously which one
is started, if you type only gimp on xterm.

jos@home> where gimp

>That's a good start, but certainly not the real reason. At the moment, I'd
>suggest faulty hardware or not enough memory. But it could be a broken
>xserver binary, or wrong xserver for your gfx card..

If everything worked fine before updating, I would expect software
(configuration) problems, instead of mysterious harware problems.

	Hans