Gimp crashes when I start up gimp

Hi! A few days ago, I posted this message to comp.graphics.apps.gimp,
but
got no replies. So I'll try here.

Hi!

I just updated from SuSE linux 6.1 to 6.3. Now, when I started
up gimp from an xterm, the screen became full of these lines:

gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught
gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught
gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught
gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught
gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught
gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught
gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught
gimp: fatal error: sigsegv caught

After which the system didn't respond anymore: I had to reboot,
the 'pull the plug'-way (literally). So, when I started up the
machine again, I did gimp>error, and after a few seconds did killall
gimp from another xterm. The error file now contained some 30000
lines with the same errormessage as printed above. I also tried
gimp -version, which results in a segmentation fault (before the
version is printed.) So... does anybody know what I could do now?
Maybe compile the programme myself?

regards,

jos.

josvanr@xxxxxxxxx